Visit our new online store and show your support for MS ICES! Tshirts, tumblers, tote bags, aprons, phone and tablet cases, and so much more! Proceeds from the sales go straight into your MS ICES Group to help us have even better giveaways and Days of Sharing! Go show your support today!
We've gotten lots of messages regarding the MS Cottage Food Law and Regulations. Check out our Recommended Links and Member Pages for a link to the Frequently Asked Questions regarding the law. Here is a copy of the law for you to review. You can also find a copy online at https://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mscode/ and search for 75-29-951 in the search bar.
Miss. Code Ann. § 75-29-951
MISSISSIPPI CODE of 1972
*** Current through the 2015 Regular Session ***
TITLE 75. REGULATION OF TRADE, COMMERCE AND INVESTMENTS
CHAPTER 29. SALE AND INSPECTION OF FOOD AND DRUGS
ARTICLE 21. COTTAGE FOOD OPERATIONS
Miss. Code Ann. § 75-29-951 (2015)
§ 75-29-951. Regulation of cottage food operations
(1) (a) A cottage food operation must comply with the applicable requirements of this chapter but is exempt from the permitting requirements of Section 41-3-18 if the cottage food operation complies with the section and has annual gross sales of cottage food products that do not exceed Twenty Thousand Dollars ($ 20,000.00).
(b) For purposes of this subsection, a cottage food operations annual gross sales include all sales of cottage food products at any location, regardless of the types of products sold or the number of persons involved in the operation. A cottage food operation must provide the department, upon request, with written documentation to verify the operation's annual gross sales.
(2) A cottage food operation may not sell or offer for sale cottage food products over the Internet, by mail order, or at wholesale or to a retail establishment. Cottage food products are nonpotentially hazardous food products as defined by the department.
(3) A cottage food operation may only sell cottage food products which are prepackaged with a label affixed that contains the following information:
(a) The name and address of the cottage food operation.
(b) The name of the cottage food product.
(c) The ingredients of the cottage food product, in descending order of predominance by weight.
(d) The net weight or net volume of the cottage food product.
(e) Allergen information as specified by federal labeling requirements.
(f) If any nutritional claim is made, appropriate nutritional information as specified by federal labeling requirements.
(g) The following statement printed in at least ten-point type in a color that provides a clear contrast to the background of the label: "Made in a cottage food operation that is not subject to Mississippi's food safety regulations."
(4) This section does not exempt a cottage food operation from any federal tax law, rule, regulation, or certificate that applies to all cottage food operations.
(5) (a) The department may investigate any complaint which alleges that a cottage food operation has violated an applicable provision of this chapter or rule adopted under this chapter.
(b) Only upon receipt of a complaint, the department's authorized officer or employee may enter and inspect the premises of a cottage food operation to determine compliance with this chapter and department rules. A cottage food operation's refusal to permit the department's authorized officer or employee entry to the premises or to conduct the inspection is grounds for disciplinary action pursuant to Section 4l-3-59.
(6) This section does not apply to a person operating under a food permit issued pursuant to Section 41-3-18.
HISTORY: SOURCES: Laws, 2013, ch. 481, § 1, eff from and after passage (approved April 1, 2013).